congee, you make everything better...




There is nothing better than a hot bowl of congee on a cold fall day. The salty warmth of the thick rice porridge is enough to sooth even the most savage of moods.

Every spoonful brings back memories of a childhood long past and of Sunday lunches filled with family, laughter and happiness.

Ladened with salted pork, conpoy and thousand-year-old-egg, every bite is wonderful and leaves you wanting more. Alas, my stomach can only hold so much...

Best: Mom's homemade
Second Best: Congee Wong

Everyone's interpretation of congee is different and it is very much subject to taste. Meats vary, fillings vary. Some places make the porridge thicker, some a little more soupy with the rice boiled down to almost nothing. Chiu Chow style looks like boiled rice water with nearly whole grain rice and little bits of meat or veggies.

Me, I like mine a little more soupy and salty than the rest of my family, so I find Congee Wong perfect to suit my congee needs... whenever I can't get homemade, that is.

My Flav Raves: salted pork with 1000yr-old-egg, chicken & duck with a raw egg, white fish & pig jello

2 comments:

Rose Petal said...

I disagree...I like Sam's Congee or Congee Time because CT takes Visa. :)

schmassion said...

pshaw... it's about the FOOD (not the money)...